Our opinion may be biased after spending a wonderful month volunteering at Colibri Camping, but it is most definitely a little piece of paradise in La Paz and one you can’t miss!
- The view! Waking up each morning or watching the sunset, the view of the mountains and the river below Colibri Camping is breathtaking and one you don’t get tired of.
- The tranquility – Colibri Camping is in the suburb of Jupapina, around 30 mins from the centre of La Paz yet you feel a million miles away. There is so much to do around the south of La Paz (hike the Muela del Diablo, visit the Zoo, go to the Valley of the Moon, check out the cafe and night life of San Miguel) or just chill and do nothing at all!
- The Hammocks! Lie in a hammock with a book and a drink and relax as you soak in the serenity.
- The facilities! This campsite has the best camp facilities we have seen in South America. Huge, clean and tastefully designed bathrooms, large open kitchen with everything you need to cook up a storm and lots of little areas to sit and enjoy your holidays!
- The fire pits! With firewood and coal available to buy at the camp-shop, enjoy a campfire or a BBQ with other travellers or the wonderful hosts, Emma and Rolando.
- Stay in a teepee! Experience a night in a cosy teepee! It’s certainly different to your usual hotel room! You can also camp (tents available for hire if you don’t have your own) or stay in one of the cabins.
- Lizzie cat! Cat lovers rejoice, the family cat Lizzie is the friendliest feline you will ever meet and she loves a pat!
- Learn Spanish or do a Bolivian cooking class! Once you have decompressed on the hammocks why not work on improving your Spanish or learning a new dish? These are held at the campsite making them super convenient!
- Tours are available! Want to go to Tiwanaku or to see the Cholita Wrestling? Just ask the friendly staff and volunteers who are more than happy to organize these for you!
- The people! The lovely owners, volunteers of Up Close Bolivia (www.upclosebolivia.com) who live above the campsite, and staff as well as the travellers who come to stay, make this place so very special.
For more information check out – www.colibricamping.com